Thursday, March 25, 2010

Let's go fly a kite!

Mary Poppins- I love that movie.
I had a fantastic day today! It was so windy on my way to school this afternoon and so much warmer out than it has been that I decided today should be a park day. On my way home I stopped and bought a kite, a frisbee and a giant bottle of bubbles, then went home and got the kids for a picnic.
The kite was amazing. Usually I have to run with it and coax it up into the air, but this one went straight up and the only trouble I had was unwinding the string fast enough. It had a picture of a gecko on it and we decided to name it Hugo, just because I thought it was funny. Hugo the gecko.
After awhile some of the other kids at the playground drifted over to watch us fly it and I let them have a turn. There were several children I didn't know who took turns playing with it. It was really fun to watch them, because some of them said they had never had a kite before.
Along with flying our kite, we also made a short movie (it didn't have much of a plot), spun each other really fast on the merry-go-round and climbed on a big rope structure they have there.
It was a lovely afternoon, and I think we will do it again soon. It didn't cost very much either, (the kite was only $6) which makes it a nice option for when you want something fun to do on the spur of the moment.

~Jane~

P.S. I haven't been sticking to my posting schedule exactly. Today was supposed to be "character inspiration" day, which can mean fashion or anything inspiring about them. I may be posting something like that tomorrow. : )

1 comment:

Marian said...

Sounds fun! :) Those kids will probably never forget it; I'm sure you made their day!