Friday, July 16, 2010

Random Friday

1. Once I had a dream that there was this old victorian house on the corner of our street. It a was beautiful but really run down and lonely. It was set back from the road between two trees. In my dream I was going to fix it up and live in it, and it gave me the strangest feeling, like it was meant to be.
When I woke up I realized that there is no victorian house there, it is a modern house on that lot. But the trees are there, and the modern house is set a little closer to the road than the victorian house was. Every time I drive by that spot I automatically look for that house. It should be sitting right behind the one that is there now. Even though I know it was only a dream, I expect it to be there. When I look for it, I can see it in my mind's eye and for an instant I feel like I have caught a glimpse into the past and there must have been a house there long ago.

2. I am a very quiet person in many situations, and it seldom means I am upset. Usually I am simply enjoying the conversation going on around me and I have nothing to add, so I just listen. Also, I am not very good at having a conversation when I don't know a person really well.
"I certainly have not the talent which some people possess, of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done."
 For some reason it takes me a really long time to get to know someone well enough to talk freely without feeling awkward. And, of course, if I care about what you think of me, that makes it even worse. I can easily chit-chat with someone at the checkout counter at the store, because I will probably never see them again so there's no pressure. If I like you and want to be friends, I get awkward and stutter and don't know what to say and usually make a quick escape from the conversation. That is why I prefer the written word, where I can translate my thoughts more fluently. : )

3. I love musicals! I love the songs and dancing, and I love the way the music fits with the story. Sometimes they hit upon just the right phrase and just the right notes, and it tells the story in a way that cannot possibly be translated into another form of storytelling. The actual notes of the music add an emotional element to the story that is impossible to describe in words. I like to listen to soundtracks from musicals because, unlike normal songs, you know what the backstory is and so it is that much more powerful to listen to.
I realized recently that a lot of my favorite movies are musicals. I love Newsies and Singin' in the Rain and The Phantom of the Opera and That Thing You Do and White Christmas.

~Jane~

3 comments:

Moe said...

I don't converse very well either... and yes! letters, email and chat on FB is great! Don't ask me why it's that way.

We just watched Singin' in the Rain today! Very talented people in that movie. I really liked the dancing. I think it'd be awesome to tap dance!

Moe

Alexandra said...

Love to meet a fellow musical--and Phantom--lover!!! (Although I prefer the Original Broadway Cast ala Michael Crawford to the film...)

And it is so much easier to write your thoughts than to "speak" them. You also don't have to worry about the person sitting in front of you and losing courage to make that sometimes touchy point. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis!!
I just started a new blog-one where you take turns writing-and I was wondering if you would like to be a part of it. Just let me know.

-Darby