Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Writer's Tag

I got this tag from Marian.

Rules: Fill out the tag, and then add two of your own questions!

What do you write your stories on?
I do any actual writing on my beautiful laptop Maude, but whenever I first have an idea for a story, I have to write it out in my notebook. When I write on the computer I have to keep everything neat and nice, but when I write in a notebook it's like I'm thinking on paper. I can write it out really messy with a lot of questions and random notes thrown in.

What is your favorite kind of character?
I really enjoyed writing my villain. She was really interesting. I also liked most of my side characters. I seem to enjoy writing side characters better because I'm more free to make them quirky and interesting.

When you're asked what your story is about, what is your usual reaction?
With this last book, I was a little bit embarrassed to be writing about ninjas and pirates, so I just said something vague like, "Oh, it's just an adventure story... I haven't gotten very far..."
I think I'm always reluctant to tell anyone what I'm writing.

What is your biggest writing pet peeve?
When I write something really good and then read it later and it's not very good at all. That is disappointing.

What is the biggest turn-off for you when reading a book?
Definitely language and inappropriate material. I just can't get past it in a book, it ruins my enjoyment of the story.

Your favorite era in history?
Um, that one big era... you know, the one that goes from Genesis to right before now. Seriously, I like all of history.
If I had to pick, I would say... the Victorian era.

How many words on average do you punch out in one sitting?
Hmm. Not too many. I'm really slow at writing.

Are you a fast typist?
When I'm on a role and I know what I'm writing, I can do about 1000 words an hour. I haven't timed myself per minute in a long time, maybe I should do that.

What do you do for inspiration?
Write in my notebook. I have to write out what's going on and what ideas I have and do a lot of, "Well, maybe if..." It helps me get unstuck.

The truest writing quote you've ever heard:
"Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary." Haha.

What's your favorite genre to write?
I have only written two full first drafts. One was a serious drama, and it was terrible. The other was a crazy adventure story. I liked the adventure better.

Favorite font to write with?
Calibri 11.

~Jane~

P.S. I didn't add two questions, I couldn't think of any.

1 comment:

Elinor Dashwood/Melanie said...

Oh Jane! I cracked up over the comment about your reaction when people ask what your story is about. MY STORY IS ABOUT PIRATES TOO!!! And I always feel goofy saying it, because pirates *seems* so cliche... but it's not!
Also, my story is so complex that it's hard to give a plot synopsis, except that it's about... pirates. :-)
I really like this meme... I will definitely do it. :-)